In most cases, opiate addiction starts when one receives a prescription for pain treatment after an injury or accident. After using the painkillers for some time, one may feel that they are not as effective as expected. Consequently, they continue using the drugs for a prolonged time, increasing the tolerance of the painkillers. Physical dependence on opiates causes cravings. An opiate addiction treatment center including medical detox is essential to help one recover from the addiction and lead a healthy life.
Opiate is a term describing controlled substances that come from opium. These substances are ideal for treating severe or mild pain in patients. They have intensely calming effects which make them prone to high rates of abuse. This often leads to addiction. According to statistics, around 128 people in America die every day from overdosing on opiates.
Effects of Opiate Use and Overdose
Opiates produce tranquil and euphoric effects when used in large amounts. Opiate addiction involves compulsive drug-seeking behavior. The constant urge to use drugs pushes one to steal, buy, or borrow them from friends and family. Desperate individuals may end up using heroin since it is a particularly potent opiate. Heroin is illegal but cheaper and easier to obtain compared to other opiates.
An opiate overdose occurs when one takes excessive amounts of the drugs or combines multiple substances. Some people overdose opiates alone. Others consume them alongside other substances making the effects even worse.
Some of the signs of an opiate overdose include:
- Restricted or shallow breathing
- Clammy or cool skin
- Frequent vomiting
- Inability to wake up or extreme sleepiness
- Loss of consciousness
- Constricted pupils
- Nausea and vomiting
Most people seek help from an opiate addiction treatment center after surviving the effects of an overdose. It is usual for one to fear judgment from others or feel ashamed about their situation during treatment. You should keep in mind that the health practitioners you find in the treatment facility are there to support you and not criticize you. They help you gain motivation and confidence throughout the recovery journey.
Treatment for Opiate Addiction
The most effective treatment program for people struggling with opiate addiction is the inpatient detox and inpatient rehab. There are various specialized programs provided in inpatient rehab centers. These programs help the patients to soul-search and find out the root cause of their addiction. Understanding the triggers that led to opiate addiction can help prevent relapse while in recovery.
Landmark Recovery Opiate Addiction Treatment Center
The treatment facility provides all the necessary treatment programs for alcohol and drug dependency. While patients stay at the rehabilitation center, they receive holistic treatment options that ensure transformational change. The staff provides patients will follow-up support and detailed action plans to assist them to lead better lives.
Some of the treatment programs provided at the facility include:
- Alumni program: The facility offers fully integrated support for its alumni. This helps them achieve success even as they continue with their recovery
- Residential treatment program: This treatment plan is also known as inpatient treatment. Patients stay in the facility for around 35 days and engage in support meetings, group therapy, individual therapy, among others
- Intensive outpatient program (IOP): This is where the patient receives treatment while still staying at home. It is ideal for patients in a stable condition
- Mindfulness therapy: The facility encourages the patients to take part in activities that lead to a healthy mind and body. These activities help the patients to get better sleep and keep their minds occupied
- Individual and group therapy: Every patient gets access to a professional therapist to share their issues with during individual therapy. Group therapy encourages the patients to interact and support each other during recovery
Get Treatment for Opiate Addiction from a Trusted Facility
Don’t allow drug addiction to affect your productivity at work or in school. Seek immediate help from an opiate addiction treatment center. This will help to improve your quality of life and that of your loved ones. Reach out to us today at 405.494.4239 and begin your journey to recovery.